The Solstice is on the horizon this week, marking the beginning of summer in the northern hemisphere!
To many, the day marks the beginning of cookouts, sports, and other “fun-in-the-sun” activities, though it has a deep cultural background attached to it.
Pagan religions of Europe also called this time “midsummer” or “Litha.” They marked the date in many ways, but most commonly known is with standing stones.
To celebrate, over 30,000 people will visit standing stones like Stonehenge in the UK, and the Callanish Stones in Scotland this week. Celebrations often centered on themes of growth, fertility, feasting, and merrymaking. It was told that if you were very lucky, you might even sight one of the faerie folk (or become the subject of their tricks!).
It also marks the decline in number of hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere, so be sure to soak up as much sun as possible!
Celebrate the tradition by having modern “feast” with some friends, or suit up in your utility kilt and search for the faerie folk at a National Park.
Keep an eye out for our sale and spotlight items of the week – they’ll be sure to show off your BBQ skills while helping you keep cool in the sun!
Fellow Scotsman? Check out some of our products!
- This cast pewter, rampant lion brooch is the perfect accessory to showcase your Scottish heritage while striking fear into the heart of your enemies
- Made from authentic cast pewter by Don McKee, celebrated Celtic craftsman, for added Scottish authenticity and uniqueness
- Measures approximately 3.5 inches by 3.5 inches, subtle enough to make an impression without being overwhelming, but solid enough to hold together a great or ancient kilt
- The rampant lion is a Scottish symbol of strength, valor, and battle victory with its claws raised, ready to strike—it was incorporated into Great Seal of Scotland, which was impressed on all official documents
- Embroidered Clan Crest Badges (Stock Clans), hand-embroidered and full color
- Measures Approx. 3 X 4 inches and three push pins spring clasps for secure latching
- Made of navy blue twill fabric on black felt with a stiff backing
- If you don’t see your clan listed here, please contact us. We can add clans with a minimum order of 3
- US Air Force Tartan Woven in Scotland
- Kilt Made in Scotland
- 4-5 Yards of Premium Wool
- Medium Weight Tartan
- Cool and Practical Design
- Thin, Breathable Fabric
- Recommended for Summer Events
- Made in the UK
- Pewter Knot Handle
- Real steel ornamental blade and plastic sheath
- 6 colors of gems