The Solstice is on the horizon this week, marking the beginning of summer in the northern hemisphere!
To many, the day marks the beginning of cookouts, sports, and other “fun-in-the-sun” activities, though it has a deep cultural background attached to it.
Pagan religions of Europe also called this time “midsummer” or “Litha.” They marked the date in many ways, but most commonly known is with standing stones.
To celebrate, over 30,000 people will visit standing stones like Stonehenge in the UK, and the Callanish Stones in Scotland this week. Celebrations often centered on themes of growth, fertility, feasting, and merrymaking. It was told that if you were very lucky, you might even sight one of the faerie folk (or become the subject of their tricks!).
It also marks the decline in number of hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere, so be sure to soak up as much sun as possible!
Celebrate the tradition by having modern “feast” with some friends, or suit up in your utility kilt and search for the faerie folk at a National Park.
Keep an eye out for our sale and spotlight items of the week – they’ll be sure to show off your BBQ skills while helping you keep cool in the sun!
Fellow Scotsman? Check out some of our products!
- Good-quality stainless steel blade
- Black lacquered spiral wood handle
- Chrome hilt and pommel
- Well made for it’s price!
- 30 inch blade
- 40 inch overall length
- Includes a matching leather sheath
- Fine-quality tartan-patterned neckties come in a medium (12 or 13 ounces) weight to keep your tie in place
- Choose from over 40 tartans according to your style and family’s heritage
- Made from 100% premium wool in Wales and custom-made just for you
- Add a splash of tartan with any formal outfit to showcase your heritage in multiple tie-wearing settings
- Authentic children’s ribbon flashes to complete every Celtic outfit
- Features a convenient and adjustable elastic and hook closure
- Available in six common colors to compliment any outfit
- Matches our L&M Highland Grosgrain Flashes so you and your child can match