The Solstice is on the horizon this week, marking the beginning of summer in the northern hemisphere!
To many, the day marks the beginning of cookouts, sports, and other “fun-in-the-sun” activities, though it has a deep cultural background attached to it.
Pagan religions of Europe also called this time “midsummer” or “Litha.” They marked the date in many ways, but most commonly known is with standing stones.
To celebrate, over 30,000 people will visit standing stones like Stonehenge in the UK, and the Callanish Stones in Scotland this week. Celebrations often centered on themes of growth, fertility, feasting, and merrymaking. It was told that if you were very lucky, you might even sight one of the faerie folk (or become the subject of their tricks!).
It also marks the decline in number of hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere, so be sure to soak up as much sun as possible!
Celebrate the tradition by having modern “feast” with some friends, or suit up in your utility kilt and search for the faerie folk at a National Park.
Keep an eye out for our sale and spotlight items of the week – they’ll be sure to show off your BBQ skills while helping you keep cool in the sun!
Fellow Scotsman? Check out some of our products!
- The 100% Felted Wool Glengarry is available in plain black, navy blue, green, or red-and-white dicing.
- It’s embellished with grosgrain ribbon on the back and a pom on top. Folds flat to fit in your pocket.
- Available in hat sizes 6.75-8. Refer to chart for measurements.
- The Glengarry is authentic traditional Scottish wear that dates back to 1812. It’s perfect for classic Scottish uniform wear.
- This Quality Wool Blend kilt is the most handsome way for a child to match his daddy at formal events
- Choose from over 70 homespun tartans to teach your kids about the value of family heritage and the significance of the family tartan
- Customizable waist size and length, but remember they max out at 26 inches by 15 inches, so feel free to size up for growing kids—teen sizes are also available
- Made from a 55/45 blend of polyester and wool and woven by hand on old-world looms, matching the history and authenticity of your own kilt, while pleating easily without creating sharp edges
- Customize by choice your wool free tartan, each flag measures approximately 12″x 22
- Comes powder coated weather-proof paint metal yard flag holder with spring stoppers & anti-wind clips
- Time to really dress up your curb appeal and show off your heritage pride
- Make your yard and home beautiful with this festive tartan garden flag made in the USA from Scottish Woven tartan.