- SKU: LEBH
- Categories: Braveheart, Specialty Tartans, Ren Fair Collection, Clans and Tartans, Earasaids
- Tags: Braveheart, Special-Order, Wool
Obviously NOT the Braveheart Tartan pictured here. You could be our Braveheart Earasaid model! Please send us your photos! (Pictured is our friend Raywyn modeling her premium wool earasaid.)
The earasaid (aka erasaid or arisaid) is essentially the women’s version of the greatkilt. Worn over an under-dress, the earasaid can be very versatile. It can be worn long or short, for warmth or for style. The perfect compliment to any period costume. Pleating instructions are included with each earasaid.
Our Braveheart earasaid is made from the same 100% wool tartan, woven in Scotland, by the same weaver, as the kilts used in the filming of the movie Braveheart! The Braveheart tartan is very rustic, woven in natural wool and earth tones believed to be authentic to that period. Braveheart Tartan is woven 60 inches wide.
The earasaid has less fabric in it than a great kilt. Why? Because the earasaid generally doesn’t wrap completely around the front like a greatkilt, and it has less pleats. An earasaid usually has just a few large pleats in the back — sometimes even just bunched-up instead of pleated. I say “generally” and “usually” because the earasaid is so very versatile — you can wear it however you want.
We make three different sizes of earasaid (2.5 yd, 3 yd, and 4 yd). There are two basic ways you can choose to wear an earasaid. Which size you choose depends on your waist size, and how you want to wear your earasaid.
Method #1: The earasaid will be worn from knee to mid-calf length (maximum of about 27″ long). You should be able to bring fabric over one shoulder or both, and brooch it in front. You should have plenty of pleats, and enough fabric meet in the front, or overlap a bit if you want it to. A 2.5 yard earasaid will fit up to about a 34 inch waist, a 3 yard earasaid will fit up to about a 40 inch waist, and a 4 yard earasaid will fit 40+ inch waist sizes.
Method #2: The earasaid will be worn floor length. You should be able to bring fabric up over your head if you want to, and brooch it like a hooded cloak. Worn this way you’ll be limited by the width of the fabric. You can make your earasaid fit almost any waist size, but you’ll have only a few pleats, and just enough fabric meet in the front (maybe). This method works best with a 2.5 yd earasaid. You can make it work a 3 or (maybe) 4 yard earasaid, but you end up with too much fabric to deal with above your head and shoulders.
Pleating instructions are included with each earasaid (Earasaid Instructions.PDF). Because it’s so versatile, we would encourage you to pleat it yourself each time you wear it. That way you can change the length and style or number of pleats any time you want to. However, we can pleat it for you and stitch everything into place. This makes it very easy to wear, but you’ll need to decide on a length and stick with it. If you’re interested, just add Cheater Pleats™ to your order. Please allow an extra week for delivery with this option.
Accessories For Your Earasaid
You’ll notice in many of the photos that the earasaid is usually worn with an underdress and a bodice. We are working on making these products available, but for now your best option is to make them yourself. We don’t sell patterns ourselves, but here are some we found that might be useful to you:
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- Celebrate your family’s ancestral crest with this elegant 5-ounce flask with 24ct gold accents as unique as your clan’s honorable history
- Made in Scotland from high-quality cast pewter for added Scottish authenticity—please allow 6-10 weeks for shipping
- Includes its own funnel and arrives gift-boxed for exceptional convenience, making it the perfect gift for the proud Scot in your life—even if that’s you!
- Carry your historical family pride with you in this subtle but eye-catching accessory wherever you go and never be too far away from your favorite drink
- Tartan made in Scotland by the same mill that created the Same tartans worn by your favorite Outlander characters. Choose between Outlander, Outlander Fraser, or Outlander MacKenzie
- Choose between three sizes: 2.5, 3 or 4 yards for this versatile, traditional dress that can be worn either long or short
- Pleating instructions provided or cheater’s pleats can be requested and is traditionally worn over an underdress
- Made with 100% premium wool
- Clan Crest Standard Sgian Dubh (sock knife) made in Scotland with over 100 clan crests to choose
- Quality craftsmanship, affordable and practical with a stainless steel blade
- Antiqued metal mounts and yellow (plastic) jewel top; fits nicely into kilt hose
- Chromed metal accents and Scottish thistle detailing (the symbol for nobility and courage)
- Sturdy, quality cufflinks made in Scotland from solid pewter
- Features a shiny rhodium-plated finish sure to stand out
- Measures ¾ inch diameter with stainless steel backs for secure fastening
- Choose between over 100 Scottish clans to show off your clan pride