Rob Roy Movie Tartan Earasaid
- SKU: LERR
- Categories: Rob Roy, Specialty Tartans, Ren Fair Collection, Clans and Tartans, Earasaids
- Tags: Custom-Order, Rob Roy, Wool
- Traditional Earasaid made with 100% wool tartan woven in Scotland
- Woven by the same weaver as the kilts in the movie Rob Roy with an authentic and rustic look
- Comes with pleating instructions for your convenience
- Custom-made for a perfect fit and cheater pleats available too
Rob Roy Movie Tartan Earasaid
The Earasaid (aka erasaid or arisaid) is essentially the women’s version of the Great Kilt. Extremely versatile, this traditional piece can be worn long or short, over an under-dress, pleated, or bunched! And any fan of the Rob Roy movie will recognize the official tartan used in the film – it is actually woven in Scotland by the same weaver as the kilts used in the filming!
With its weathered colors and authentic, rustic look, this earasaid makes a perfect complement to any period costume. You can assure the perfect fit with a custom made earasaid just for you! If the pleating seems daunting, we have you covered – pleating instructions are included, and you even have the option of adding cheater pleats too for your convenience.
We make our Rob Roy earasaid from the same 100% wool tartan, woven in Scotland, by the same weaver, as the kilts used in the filming of the movie “Rob Roy”! The Rob Roy Movie Tartan is a very authentic, rustic, plain-weave tartan, in weathered colors. Rob Roy Tartan is a 13oz. (medium weight) fabric and woven 60 inches wide.
The earasaid has less fabric in it than a great kilt. Why? Because the earasaid generally doesn’t wrap completely around the front like a greatkilt, and it has less pleats. An earasaid usually has just a few large pleats in the back — sometimes even just bunched-up instead of pleated. I say “generally” and “usually” because the earasaid is so very versatile — you can wear it however you want.
We make three different sizes of earasaid (2.5 yd, 3 yd, and 4 yd). There are two basic ways you can choose to wear an earasaid. Which size you choose depends on your waist size, and how you want to wear your earasaid.
Method #1: The earasaid will be worn from knee to mid-calf length (maximum of about 27″ long). You should be able to bring fabric over one shoulder or both, and brooch it in front. You should have plenty of pleats, and enough fabric meet in the front, or overlap a bit if you want it to. A 2.5 yard earasaid will fit up to about a 34 inch waist, a 3 yard earasaid will fit up to about a 40 inch waist, and a 4 yard earasaid will fit 40+ inch waist sizes.
Method #2: The earasaid will be worn floor length. You should be able to bring fabric up over your head if you want to, and brooch it like a hooded cloak. Worn this way you’ll be limited by the width of the fabric. You can make your earasaid fit almost any waist size, but you’ll have only a few pleats, and just enough fabric meet in the front (maybe). This method works best with a 2.5 yd earasaid. You can make it work a 3 or (maybe) 4 yard earasaid, but you end up with too much fabric to deal with above your head and shoulders.
Pleating instructions are included with each earasaid (Earasaid Instructions.PDF). Because it’s so versatile, we would encourage you to pleat it yourself each time you wear it. That way you can change the length and style or number of pleats any time you want to. However, we can pleat it for you and stitch everything into place. This makes it very easy to wear, but you’ll need to decide on a length and stick with it. If you’re interested, just add Cheater Pleats™ to your shopping cart after you add your earasaid. Please allow an extra 2-3 weeks for delivery with this option.
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- Premium quality pure lead-free pewter
- Hinged lid with sturdy handle
- Lid is accented with pewter clan crest and Celtic knot work
- 16oz. capacity
- Made in Scotland
- Available in over 250 clan crests
- Non clan crest available
- Sgian dubh cast in lead-free pewter and plated in palladium — fits nicely into your kilt hose
- Choose between six gemstones (black, blue, green, red, topaz, purple) — the stone has a multi-facet cut and gold foil backed
- Traditional 4-piece metalwork and designed with the thistle symbol, a symbol of Scottish nobility and valor
- Connect to your ancestry and heritage by choosing from over 250+ clan crests or generic crests (i.e., Lion, Thistle, St. Andrews, Piper, or Masonic crests)
- The Braveheart Ancient Kilt is the same rustic tartan–authentically woven in Scotland– featured in the movie Braveheart
- This kilt is sewn right here in the US and wears lighter, cooler, more comfortably than wool typically does
- It’s custom-made just for you and available in 6, 8, and 10 yard lengths to accommodate different waist sizes
- Please allow 1-2- weeks for delivery for this bit o’ rugged highland style to arrive at your door