US Marine Corps Premium Wool Ancient Kilt
- The US Marine Corps Premium Wool Ancient Kilt is in the ancient style, made popular by the iconic film Braveheart
- It’s the best of both worlds: with the tartan woven in Scotland and the kilt made here in the USA
- Thin, breathable fabric and a cool, practical design make this kilt ideal for summer events
- We offer over 500 additional tartans in a 25 to 30-inch length–pleat the extra-long apron for a fly plaid
US Marine Corps Ancient Kilt
What do the legendary William Wallace and your average Devil Dog have in common? They’re both among the fiercest warriors ever to walk the face of the earth.
Our US Marine Corps Premium Wool Ancient Kilt is made in the ancient kilt style, familiar to most of us from the Celtic movie classic, Braveheart. The authentic Marine Corps tartan is woven in Scotland, and the kilt itself is made right here in the US! The 25 to 30-inch length means you can pleat its extra-long apron into a fly plaid.
The kilt is made from thin, breathable fabric. It features a cool, practical design, perfect for active wearers.
This is a custom, made-to-order product just for you. Premium wool tartans generally take 4-12 weeks to get to us, depending on availability. Once your tartan arrives to us, it will take us a day or two to complete your kilt (add a day for cheater pleats) and then your kilt will ship to you! Please click here for more information on custom-order items.
Pleating instructions are included with each kilt. Traditionally these kilts are pleated each time you wear them. We ask for size information to be sure that your kilt will fit you correctly, but we do not pleat the kilt for you unless you also select Cheater Pleats™ as an additional option.
Note — Modern kilts are generally pleated so that the front apron of the kilt closes from left to right. For years this is how we’ve Cheater Pleated™ our Ancient Kilts. However, many customers brought it to our attention that this makes it difficult to wear the plaid over the left shoulder, which is also customary.
So, we’ve decided to make all Ancient Kilts the other way — front apron closing from right to left. This makes the aprons “backwards” compared to a modern kilt, but it allows the plaid to flow up and over the left shoulder. (This is the way Mel wears it in the Braveheart movie.)
Incidentally, plaid over left shoulder is not a hard and fast rule. It most likely originated as a practical way to keep the plaid off your sword arm. If you are left-handed, you will probably want to wear the plaid over your right shoulder. Just let us know — we can Cheater Pleat™ your kilt either way you want!
- 6 yard Ancient Kilt fits up to about a 38 inch waist.
- 8 yard Ancient Kilt fits up to about a 48 inch waist.
- 10 yard Ancient Kilt fits up to about about a 54 inch waist.
- Larger kilts are available. Please contact us.
Depending on waist size, pleats will vary between one and two inches wide (pleats will get wider as waist size increases). If your waist size is close to one of the limits above, consider the next size larger if you want deeper pleats or pleats closer together.
How to measure for your Ancient Kilt
- Have someone help you. If you bend even a little while trying to do it yourself, the measurements will change.
- Kilt Waist: Measure the waist size at your actual waist, where you usually wear your pants.
- Kilt Length: Measure the length from your waist to about the middle of the knee.