Heavy Weight Premium Wool Ancient Kilt
What is an Ancient Kilt?
These are the same style kilts worn in the movie Braveheart! Our Ancient Kilts are perfect for Renaissance festivals, weddings, reenactment events, or a distinctive look at your next Highland games. Depending on who you talk to, they may be historically accurate or not, but our Ancient Kilt is much cooler and more practical than a Great Kilt for hot weather wear. We recommend them to anyone looking for the Renaissance Highland look.
How is it different?
The Ancient Kilt is basically a Phillabeg with an extra 2-3 yards of tartan attached. This extra tartan serves as a sash or fly plaid, worn over your shoulder once the kilt is pleated. An Ancient Kilt is different from a Great Kilt because it is made from a longer piece of single-width fabric (25-30 inches wide). This means you don’t have the bulk of fabric above the belt that you do with a great kilt. (Great kilts are made from double-width fabric, 54-60 inches wide).
About Heavy Weight Tartan
Made in the USA from heavy weight (15/16 oz.) premium wool tartan, woven in Scotland. We don’t generally recommend heavy weight ancient kilts, unless you don’t have any other options. You’ll find it hot and heavy for any warm weather event. It is however very durable, and takes a very crisp pleat if you choose.
This is a custom, made-to-order product just for you. Premium wool tartans generally take 4-12 weeks to get to us, depending on availability. Once your tartan arrives to us, it will take us a day or two to complete your kilt (add a day for cheater pleats) and then your kilt will ship to you! Please click here for more information on custom-order items.
Pleating instructions are included with each kilt. Traditionally these kilts are pleated each time you wear them. We ask for size information to be sure that your kilt will fit you correctly, but we do not pleat the kilt for you unless you also select Cheater Pleats™ as an additional option.
Note — Modern kilts are generally pleated so that the front apron of the kilt closes from left to right. For years this is how we’ve Cheater Pleated™ our Ancient Kilts. However, many customers brought it to our attention that this makes it difficult to wear the plaid over the left shoulder, which is also customary.
So, we’ve decided to make all Ancient Kilts the other way — front apron closing from right to left. This makes the aprons “backwards” compared to a modern kilt, but it allows the plaid to flow up and over the left shoulder. (This is the way Mel wears it in the Braveheart movie.)
Incidentally, plaid over left shoulder is not a hard and fast rule. It most likely originated as a practical way to keep the plaid off your sword arm. If you are left-handed, you will probably want to wear the plaid over your right shoulder. Just let us know — we can Cheater Pleat™ your kilt either way you want!
- 6 yard Ancient Kilt fits up to about a 38 inch waist.
- 8 yard Ancient Kilt fits up to about a 48 inch waist.
- 10 yard Ancient Kilt fits up to about about a 54 inch waist.
- Larger kilts are available. Please contact us.
Depending on waist size, pleats will vary between one and two inches wide (pleats will get wider as waist size increases). If your waist size is close to one of the limits above, consider the next size larger if you want deeper pleats or pleats closer together.
How to measure for your Ancient Kilt
- Have someone help you. If you bend even a little while trying to do it yourself, the measurements will change.
- Kilt Waist: Measure the waist size at your actual waist, where you usually wear your pants.
- Kilt Length: Measure the length from your waist to about the middle of the knee.
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- Tartan Woven In Scotland
- Plaid Made in the USA
- Ancient Kilt
- From Outlander: the Series
- Officially Licensed Tartan
- 100% Premium Wool
- Practical Design
Outlander Fraser tartan is on backorder.
- Made in Scotland
- Made from Spring Weight (8oz) Premium Wool
- Choose from More Than 500 Tartans
- Cap Badge not Included
- Worn by Both Men and Women
- Tartan Woven in Scotland
- Ancient Kilt Made in the USA
- Braveheart Style
- Perfect for Ren Faires/Fests
- Poly/Viscose Tartan
- Cool and Hypoallergenic
- Wool Free!
- Cool and Practical Design
- Recommended for Summer Events
- Ancient Highland Look
- Extra Long Apron to Use as a Fly Plaid
- Over 500 Tartans Available!
- 25-30″ Wide (The Length When Worn)
- Length of Fabric Cut to Your Measurements (To Fit Your Waist)
- Made in the USA
- Quality leather
- Draw sword with the scabbard in place
- Adjustment for blade lengths up to 41 inches
- Fitting adjustment accommodates up to 50 inch chest size