Where is Lochaber located in Scotland?
Lochaber, Scotland, is the getaway of a lifetime.
The small area of Scotland has only one town but compensates for this in wildlife, adventure, and hospitality. As with most places in the Celtic world, it is also prominent in historical significance.
At Celtic Croft, we pride ourselves on bringing the very best of Celtic culture to our customers. When looking for a place to soak in the very best that Scotland has to offer, consider Lochaber.
We also invite you to visit us online today for an immersive experience of Celtic culture. So visit our site now for more on Celtic history, tartans, and some fun.
Where In Scotland Is Lochaber?
The short answer to this is that Lochaber is just West of the Scottish Highlands. Therefore, this outdoorsman’s dream is located just under Lochness. That’s right, the citizens of Lochaber are neighbors to the Lochness Monster herself.
The population of Lochaber is 19,000, with 11,000 of the people living in the town of Fort William. Fort William is the only town in Lochaber, which leaves a lot of the land open to fun and exploration.
The town of Fort William is named after an actual fort that was constructed in 1654. For centuries this base has been used in the several battles that have been fought on Scottish soil. In WWII, it was used as a training base for the Royal Navy Coastal Forces.
Currently, the town acts as the gateway to Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the British Isles. Therefore, the historical significance of Fort William cannot be looked over when planning a trip there.
With 3.21 square miles, the town of Fort William may be small, but it has so much to offer. The mountains, water, and open lands make almost anything possible. Honestly, it would be a challenge to find oneself bored in Lochaber.
Never a Dull Moment
Those who visit Lochaber will have no problem finding some way to enjoy themselves. All the activities listed can be done while enjoying the natural beauty in Scotland’s area. You can also wear some exclusive Outlander gear while doing so.
You know, to pay homage to those Highlanders.
The Ben Nevis Range Mountains contain great trails for mountain biking and stores that offer bike rentals.
Not only is biking a refreshing exercise, but it’s also one of the best ways to take in the sights. Imagine speeding down a mountain and seeing open skies and more!
Get Wild: Animal Experiences
With so many small isles in proximity to Lochaber, it’s no wonder that the wildlife is abundant. Some of the animals that can be seen through safaris and tours are:
- Red deer
- Mountain hare
- Red squirrels
- Wild cat
- Golden eagle
- Peregrine falcon
- Land otter
- Bottlenose dolphin
- Northern right whale
There are so many more to name. The tours, hikes, and excursions available are a great way to see it all. Fishing boats can also be rented by tourists who wish to mix both wildlife viewing and sport.
The diversity of land in the ecosystem of Lochaber is also something to behold. A place to visit for the view would be Glen Coe, which has mountain views and waterfalls.
In Lochaber alone, there are
Whether the weather is drookit or bright, you are sure to have some beautiful scenery to soak in.
To learn about what lurks in these lands, and the area’s customs, check out some of our books! We also have apparel for every season and every member of your family. From shawls to masks, we have you covered.
A Bit Of Shut-Eye
You’re sure to need a good meal and some sleep after adventuring around Fort William. There is no shortage of either in this cozy town. The residents of the town are welcoming and eager to show off the beauty of their town.
Stay in a bed and breakfast in Fort William to feel like a genuine part of Lochaber during your stay.
You and your pals can see which restaurant has the best haggis in Fort William. Scottish cuisine is not the only kind of food in town. Hungry tourists can also grab curry, fish, and chips, and so much more.
There are several darling bed and breakfasts located in Lochaber that offer the very best of Scottish hospitality. Guests who stay in these beautiful homes get to enjoy beautiful mountain views daily.
Speaking of mountain views, the Ben Nevis Inn and Bunkhouse is the perfect place to stay in Lochaber. It is located in Fort William and offers guests a historical building to stay in.
Accommodations are modern and offer guests beautiful rooms and community dining. The dining room has the feel of one from centuries past. This quaint inn also has an outdoor dining area with large picnic tables.
Can you imagine the memories that you could make with your family? You can make memories visiting the West Highland Museum, which is located near the Gowan Brae Bed and Breakfast.
We’ll Help You Pack.
We might not be able to help you physically pack, but we can provide you with some clothes to bring with you. We are pleased to offer customers authentic Celtic clothing, books, and blogs that provide insight into the culture.
One of our favorite things to do is to match our customers with products that help them embrace their heritage. The Tartan Finder is for those who want to represent their clan in the best way possible.
After you have the correct tartan, it can be put on a kilt to be worn anywhere. Maybe the streets of Fort William someday.
Our humble business is the way that we live our motto: “From our family to yours.” Come see for yourself at our store in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. See us online or in person today to get your Celtic fix.
Fellow Scotsman? Check out some of our products!
- Sgian dubh cast in lead-free pewter and plated in palladium — fits nicely into your kilt hose
- Choose between six gemstones (black, blue, green, red, topaz, purple) — the stone has a multi-facet cut and gold foil backed
- Traditional 4-piece metalwork and designed with the thistle symbol, a symbol of Scottish nobility and valor
- Connect to your ancestry and heritage by choosing from over 250+ clan crests or generic crests (i.e., Lion, Thistle, St. Andrews, Piper, or Masonic crests)
- Will carry a 10 x 14 inch hot dish. Velcro closure and sturdy thick straps to keep your casserole secure and safe during your travel.
- Now you can transport your famous pie or casserole in this beautiful tartan Pie Carrier with ease.
- Your new favorite Casserole Carrier will keep a casserole or pie warm, and let you carry it with confidence.
- Hand-made in the USA Poly/Viscose hypoallergenic blend that is woven in Scotland and lined with 100% hemp. Fantastic functional gift!
- Gardiners vanilla fudge is handmade to a traditional recipe in the heart of Scotland and is the perfect thank you gift for when you return from your travels.
- The perfect thank you gift of a tin of smooth vanilla fudge contained in a decorative tin featuring illustrations of some of the most popular dog types.
- Using only the best quality ingredients and handmade in the heart of Scotland
- Gardiener’s truly delicious vanilla fudge is always a favorite as a special indulgence for yourself or as a gift for someone else. A tasty handmade fudge.
- On sale because they are near or past their best by date
- Made in Scotland and features famous Scottish symbols of the rampant lions and the saltire flag
- Crisp, clean design that allows the artistry to be clearly seen—a true quality statement piece
- Solid cast brass buckle with antiqued silver finish
- Measures 4 inches by 3 inches and is compatible with all standard kilt belts (2.25 inches wide)