The Veil Between Worlds
The Veil Between Worlds
I recently ran across an interesting series of Twitter posts from back in October that were assembled into graphics and posted to a Tumblr blog. The original Twitter user posted:
“The concept of “thin places” (where the ‘veil between worlds’ is thin) was even worse – deemed “ancient Celtic”, actually invented in 1938.” -Adrian Bott
He goes on to say that he is looking for the earliest reference that he can find that mentions the concept that Samhain was seen as the time of year when the “veil grows thin” and that he suspects it will be a modern reference. He presents an interesting theory that this idea of the veil actually arose out of the 19th century Spiritualism movement and has been pasted onto Celtic folk traditions: “The Spiritualist concept of the Veil, born of parlour room seances & now retrospectively cast as a key element of Samhain“. He claims the belief that the mortal and spirit worlds were divided by a veil doesn’t seem to appear in the original lore and that there was no need for the idea of the veil at the time since magic and spirits filled the world around them.
Fellow Scotsman? Check out some of our products!
- Hand-crafted in South Dakota
- His and Hers Available
- Sizes 4-13
- Narrow 6 mm Wide
The U.S. Army Pewter Kilt Belt Buckle is the perfect accompaniment for your kilt belt
Crafted from high-quality lead-free pewter with an artful antique finish for that classic look
The buckle is made in Scotland, and the crest is crafted in Canada.
Designed to fit any standard kilt belt (2.25 inches wide) and fits most other belts. The buckle itself measures 4 inches by 2.75 inches
We try very hard to keep these in stock at all times, but if we are waiting for a shipment from Scotland, you will need to wait too, up to 8 weeks for delivery.
- Phillabeg Made in the USA
- US Navy Tartan Woven in Scotland
- 100% Premium Wool
- Light or Medium Weight Tartan
- Thin, Breathable Fabric (Light Weight)
- Recommended for Summer Events
- Medium Weight for Crisper Pleats
- 4 yds, (fits up to a 34in waist)
- 5 yds, (fits up to a 44in waist)
- 6 yds,(fits up to a 50in waist)
- Authentic philabeg made from premium wool tartan woven in Wales
- Medium weight tartan hangs better and makes a crisper pleat while remaining comfortable in any weather
- Custom made for the perfect fit, with an option to choose Cheater Pleats for convenience