The Veil Between Worlds
The Veil Between Worlds
I recently ran across an interesting series of Twitter posts from back in October that were assembled into graphics and posted to a Tumblr blog. The original Twitter user posted:
“The concept of “thin places” (where the ‘veil between worlds’ is thin) was even worse – deemed “ancient Celtic”, actually invented in 1938.” -Adrian Bott
He goes on to say that he is looking for the earliest reference that he can find that mentions the concept that Samhain was seen as the time of year when the “veil grows thin” and that he suspects it will be a modern reference. He presents an interesting theory that this idea of the veil actually arose out of the 19th century Spiritualism movement and has been pasted onto Celtic folk traditions: “The Spiritualist concept of the Veil, born of parlour room seances & now retrospectively cast as a key element of Samhain“. He claims the belief that the mortal and spirit worlds were divided by a veil doesn’t seem to appear in the original lore and that there was no need for the idea of the veil at the time since magic and spirits filled the world around them.
Fellow Scotsman? Check out some of our products!
- Men’s 18 inch tall knee-high boots made with a rubber outsole for durability
- Features a cushioned insole and soft suede leather for your comfort
- Choose between fringe or no fringe options according to your preference
- Available in men’s sizes 8-13, can easily fit a calf circumference of 15 inches
- Authentic and genuine, the Celtic Embossed Studded Premium Leather Sporran
- Made from premium black leather featuring a practical snap closure on its Celtic-embossed flap, it combines style and functionality
- Includes sporran chain
- Discontinued – Available while supplies last
- Handcrafted in Scotland by skilled artisans
- Real bovine fur makes each one unique
- Made with quality materials with attention to detail
- Includes a your choice of sporran chain or sporran suspender
- Outlander Poly/Viscose Face Masks are handmade fabric face masks featuring official Outlander: The Series tartan
- Adjustable straps and two different fit options (both with adjustable metal around the nose) make it comfortable for a wide range of face sizes
- Wool-free poly/viscose material with cotton lining is machine washable and durable for easy care – the look and feel of wool without itching!
- Handmade in the USA with fabric made in Scotland for authentic quality