OUTLANDER Ancient Kilt Poly/Viscose Tartan
- SKU: OKAPV
- Categories: Ancient Kilts, Ren Fair Collection, OUTLANDER Kilts, Last Min Halloween Ideas
- Tags: Custom-Order, OUTLANDER, Poly Viscose
- Ancient kilt made from the official OUTLANDER tartan woven in Scotland
- 12oz weight fabric for durability and cool wear in the summer heat
- Plain and natural weave for a historic, rustic look
- Made in the US from a wool-free poly-viscose blend for itch-free, comfortable wear
$275.00 – $435.00
OUTLANDER Ancient Kilt Poly/Viscose Tartan
Any OUTLANDER fan will soon recognize the officially licensed OUTLANDER: The Series tartan! Created for and worn by your favorite characters, now you can have one too! Made from tartan woven in Scotland for an authentic, natural look, our Ancient kilts are finished in the USA and custom-made just for you. Ancient kilts are better for warm-weather wear than Great kilts, as they have less fabric, and these are made with a cool and comfortable poly/viscose blend perfect for those who are allergic or don’t like wool. The upside is that they are even more affordable too! Wear yours with pride and be the envy of all the other OUTLANDER fans as you customize yours further with matching brooches and flashes.
What is an Ancient Kilt?
The Ancient Kilt was popularized by the movie Braveheart. Compared to the Great Kilt (worn in OUTLANDER: The Series) which is made from double-width tartan (up to 60 inches wide), the Ancient Kilt is made from a longer piece of single-width tartan (up to 30 inches wide).This means you don’t have the bulk of fabric above the belt that you would with a Great Kilt. Instead, the Ancient Kilt is made with an extra length of 2-3 yards of tartan, an integral part of the kilt, that becomes a plaid when fastened over your shoulder.
Why an Ancient Kilt instead of a Great Kilt?
For one thing they’re less expensive, because they’re made from less tartan. For another, they are a lot cooler to wear in hot weather. You’ll want a Great Kilt if you want your kilt to look just like the kilts in OUTLANDER: The series. However, if you live in Texas, or you plan to wear your kilt to a Ren-Fest in mid-summer heat anywhere but Alaska, you’ll appreciate the lighter, cooler, Ancient Kilt. (Or if you’re a “human furnace” like me, consider an OUTLANDER Phillabeg — lighter and cooler yet!)
Just like in OUTLANDER: The Series, the Ancient Kilt is traditionally pleated each time you wear it. Pleating instructions will be included with your kilt (you can also download them here). Basically, you lay your kilt out on clean ground, the floor, or a bed. Pull fabric into pleats until it is nearly all used, leaving just enough to wrap around you. Then the whole works is held around you with your belt.
If you don’t want to pleat your kilt yourself, we offer Cheater Pleats™ as a convenient option. If you choose Cheater Pleats™, we’ll pleat the kilt for you, and stitch in a hidden waistband to hold it together. Once you belt it on, no one will know you didn’t pleat it yourself! Our standard options are pleat-to-sette, lightly ironed. If you would like different cheater pleat options, choose the “Custom” option, and add the Cheater Pleats™ product to your order in addition to your kilt.
NOTE — We ask for size information to be sure that your kilt will fit you correctly, but we do not pleat the kilt for you unless you select Cheater Pleats™ as an option.
Custom-made just for you! Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery. Please click for important information about custom-order items. We try to keep the OUTLANDER tartans in stock at all times, but if the tartan you have chosen is temporarily out of stock, you may need to wait up to 8 weeks for delivery. We will contact you if we expect any delays.
A 6 yard Ancient Kilt will fit up to about a 34 inch waist.
An 8 yard Ancient Kilt will fit up to about a 44 inch waist.
A 10 yard Ancient Kilt will fit up to about a 54 inch waist.
(Larger kilts are available. Please contact us.)
Depending on waist size, pleats will vary between one and two inches wide (pleats will get wider as waist size increases). If your waist size is close to one of the limits above, consider the next size larger if you want deeper pleats or pleats closer together.
How to measure for your OUTLANDER Ancient Kilt:
- Kilt Waist: Measure your waist size in inches at your actual waist, where you usually wear your pants. This measurement will probably be 2-4 inches larger than your pants size.
- Kilt Length: Measure from your waist to about the middle of the knee. Have someone help you! If you bend even a little while trying to do it yourself, the measurement will be wrong.
For more general information about Ancient Kilts, please see our Ancient Kilts pages.
Please Note — Our OUTLANDER product licensing agreement allows us to ship Outlander products to U.S. and Canadian addresses only. For more information, please see our International Shipping Information Page.
TM & © 2019 Sony Pictures Television Inc. All Rights Reserved.
OUTLANDER, OUTLANDER Fraser
|Ancient Kilt Size||
6 Yard Ancient Kilt, 8 Yard Ancient Kilt, 10 Yard Ancient Kilt
|Waist Size (Inches)||
26W, 27W, 28W, 29W, 30W, 31W, 32W, 33W, 34W, 35W, 36W, 37W, 38W, 39W, 40W, 41W, 42W, 43W, 44W, 45W, 46W, 47W, 48W, 49W, 50W, 51W, 52W, 53W, 54W, 55W, 56W, 57W, 58W, 59W, 60W
18L, 19L, 20L, 21L, 22L, 23L, 24L, 25L, 26L
4ft 11in, 5ft 0in, 5ft 1in, 5ft 2in, 5ft 3in, 5ft 4in, 5ft 5in, 5ft 6in, 5ft 7in, 5ft 8in, 5ft 9in, 5ft 10in, 5ft 11in, 6ft 0in, 6ft 1in, 6ft 2in, 6ft 3in, 6ft 4in, 6ft 5in, 6ft 6in
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- Tartan Woven In Scotland
- Plaid Made in the USA
- Ancient Kilt
- From Outlander: the Series
- Officially Licensed Tartan
- 100% Premium Wool
- Practical Design
- Braveheart-style traditional kilt made in-house from 6-10 yards of homespun tartan, fitting up to 60-inch waist
- Woven by hand with a quality 55/45 blend of polyester and wool on old-world looms for an authentic look
- Single-width fabric is lightweight and practical for warm-weather wear
- Customizable so choose your size, tartan, and add pre-pleated Cheater pleats for convenience
- Tartan Woven in Scotland
- Ancient Kilt Made in the USA
- Braveheart Style
- Perfect for Ren Faires/Fests
- Medium Weight Tartan
- Cool and Practical Design
- Thin, Breathable Fabric
- Recommended for Summer Events
- Ancient Highland Look
- Extra Long Apron to Use as a Fly Plaid
- 25-30″ Wide (The Length When Worn)
- Length of Fabric Cut to Your Measurements (To Fit Your Waist)
- Braveheart Style Kilt
- Kid’s Size
- 22″-28″ Waist
- 11″-15″ Length
- Approx. Sizes 8-12