Rob Roy Movie Tartan Earasaid
The Earasaid (aka erasaid or arisaid) is essentially the women’s version of the greatkilt. Worn over an under-dress, the earasaid can be very versatile. It can be worn long or short, for warmth or for style. The perfect compliment to any period costume. Pleating instructions are included with each earasaid.
Our Rob Roy earasaid is made from the same 100% wool tartan, woven in Scotland, by the same weaver, as the kilts used in the filming of the movie “Rob Roy”! The Rob Roy Movie Tartan is a very authentic, rustic, plain-weave tartan, in weathered colors. Rob Roy Tartan is a 13oz. (medium weight) fabric and woven 60 inches wide.
The earasaid has less fabric in it than a great kilt. Why? Because the earasaid generally doesn’t wrap completely around the front like a greatkilt, and it has less pleats. An earasaid usually has just a few large pleats in the back — sometimes even just bunched-up instead of pleated. I say “generally” and “usually” because the earasaid is so very versatile — you can wear it however you want.
We make three different sizes of earasaid (2.5 yd, 3 yd, and 4 yd). There are two basic ways you can choose to wear an earasaid. Which size you choose depends on your waist size, and how you want to wear your earasaid.
Method #1: The earasaid will be worn from knee to mid-calf length (maximum of about 27″ long). You should be able to bring fabric over one shoulder or both, and brooch it in front. You should have plenty of pleats, and enough fabric meet in the front, or overlap a bit if you want it to. A 2.5 yard earasaid will fit up to about a 34 inch waist, a 3 yard earasaid will fit up to about a 40 inch waist, and a 4 yard earasaid will fit 40+ inch waist sizes.
Earasaid Pleating Method 1
Method #2: The earasaid will be worn floor length. You should be able to bring fabric up over your head if you want to, and brooch it like a hooded cloak. Worn this way you’ll be limited by the width of the fabric. You can make your earasaid fit almost any waist size, but you’ll have only a few pleats, and just enough fabric meet in the front (maybe). This method works best with a 2.5 yd earasaid. You can make it work a 3 or (maybe) 4 yard earasaid, but you end up with too much fabric to deal with above your head and shoulders.
Pleating instructions are included with each earasaid (Earasaid Instructions.PDF). Because it’s so versatile, we would encourage you to pleat it yourself each time you wear it. That way you can change the length and style or number of pleats any time you want to. However, we can pleat it for you and stitch everything into place. This makes it very easy to wear, but you’ll need to decide on a length and stick with it. If you’re interested, just add Cheater Pleats™ to your earasaid when you order.
Accessories For Your Earasaid
You’ll notice in many of the photos that the earasaid is usually worn with an underdress and a bodice. We are working on making these products available, but for now your best option is to make them yourself. We don’t sell patterns ourselves, but here are some we found that might be useful to you:
2.5 Yard, 3 Yard, 4 Yard
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- The earasaid is essentially the women’s version of the greatkilt
- Worn over an under-dress, the earasaid can be very versatile
- The perfect compliment to any period costume
- Available in 3 lengths 2.5 yrd, 3 yrd, 4 yrd
- Traditional Earasaid made with 100% wool tartan woven in Scotland
- Woven by the same weaver as the kilts in the movie Rob Roy with an authentic and rustic look
- Comes with pleating instructions for your convenience
- Custom-made for a perfect fit and cheater pleats available too
- With the Medium Weight Premium Wool Earasaid, choose from one of the hundreds of tartans that we carry
- Part of a traditional women’s Highland outfit and worn over an underdress (not included), it’s ideal for festivals and Renaissance fairs
- Woven in Scotland from medium weight premium wool, the tartan is available in 2.5-, 3-, or 4-yard lengths
- Made right here in the USA, wear this piece for either style or warmth, at knee or floor length