Obviously NOT the Braveheart Tartan pictured here. You could be our Braveheart Earasaid model! Please send us your photos! (Pictured is our friend Raywyn modeling her premium wool earasaid.)
The earasaid (aka erasaid or arisaid) is essentially the women’s version of the greatkilt. Worn over an under-dress, the earasaid can be very versatile. It can be worn long or short, for warmth or for style. The perfect compliment to any period costume. Pleating instructions are included with each earasaid.
Our Braveheart earasaid is made from the same 100% wool tartan, woven in Scotland, by the same weaver, as the kilts used in the filming of the movie Braveheart! The Braveheart tartan is very rustic, woven in natural wool and earth tones believed to be authentic to that period. Braveheart Tartan is woven 60 inches wide.
The earasaid has less fabric in it than a great kilt. Why? Because the earasaid generally doesn’t wrap completely around the front like a greatkilt, and it has less pleats. An earasaid usually has just a few large pleats in the back — sometimes even just bunched-up instead of pleated. I say “generally” and “usually” because the earasaid is so very versatile — you can wear it however you want.
We make three different sizes of earasaid (2.5 yd, 3 yd, and 4 yd). There are two basic ways you can choose to wear an earasaid. Which size you choose depends on your waist size, and how you want to wear your earasaid.
Method #1: The earasaid will be worn from knee to mid-calf length (maximum of about 27″ long). You should be able to bring fabric over one shoulder or both, and brooch it in front. You should have plenty of pleats, and enough fabric meet in the front, or overlap a bit if you want it to. A 2.5 yard earasaid will fit up to about a 34 inch waist, a 3 yard earasaid will fit up to about a 40 inch waist, and a 4 yard earasaid will fit 40+ inch waist sizes.
Method #2: The earasaid will be worn floor length. You should be able to bring fabric up over your head if you want to, and brooch it like a hooded cloak. Worn this way you’ll be limited by the width of the fabric. You can make your earasaid fit almost any waist size, but you’ll have only a few pleats, and just enough fabric meet in the front (maybe). This method works best with a 2.5 yd earasaid. You can make it work a 3 or (maybe) 4 yard earasaid, but you end up with too much fabric to deal with above your head and shoulders.
Pleating instructions are included with each earasaid (Earasaid Instructions.PDF). Because it’s so versatile, we would encourage you to pleat it yourself each time you wear it. That way you can change the length and style or number of pleats any time you want to. However, we can pleat it for you and stitch everything into place. This makes it very easy to wear, but you’ll need to decide on a length and stick with it. If you’re interested, just add Cheater Pleats™ to your order. Please allow an extra week for delivery with this option.
Accessories For Your Earasaid
You’ll notice in many of the photos that the earasaid is usually worn with an underdress and a bodice. We are working on making these products available, but for now your best option is to make them yourself. We don’t sell patterns ourselves, but here are some we found that might be useful to you:
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- Celebrate your family’s ancestral crest with this elegant 5-ounce flask with 24ct gold accents as unique as your clan’s honorable history
- Made in Scotland from high-quality cast pewter for added Scottish authenticity—please allow 6-10 weeks for shipping
- Includes its own funnel and arrives gift-boxed for exceptional convenience, making it the perfect gift for the proud Scot in your life—even if that’s you!
- Carry your historical family pride with you in this subtle but eye-catching accessory wherever you go and never be too far away from your favorite drink
- Made in Scotland
- Made from Light Weight (11oz) Premium Wool
- One Size Fits All with an Elastic Headband
- 6-Panel Design
- Choose from More than 500 Tartans
- Our Light Weight Premium Wool Fly Plaid is woven in Scotland and handmade in the USA.
- Choose between standard (36 inches x 58 inches) or XL (54 inches x 58 inches).
- Made with 100% premium lightweight wool (11 or 12 oz), this accessory is available in a fringed or knotted finish.
- The perfect accessory for your casual or formal kilt or phillabeg, it brooches at the shoulder and flows back nicely.
- Wear this tartan hat as a driving cap or golf cap; add a splash of tartan to your everyday wardrobe
- Crafted in a spring weight, approximately 8 ounces; sturdy structure, but will keep you cool
- Made in Scotland from 100% premium wool for true Scottish authenticity
- Choose from over 500 different tartan patterns according to your preference; perfect for mens’ or ladies’ wear