US Army Homespun Great Kilt
It is hard to beat a traditional great kilt! (Also known as the “breacan an fheilidh” or “feile mor”.) The great kilt dates back to at least the 16th century, and it’s the most traditional and recognizable form of the kilt for Renaissance Festivals or other reenactment events.
What is the Great Kilt?
Only the most common and easily recognized historic style of kilts! Historically it took 9 yards of cloth to make a great kilt. (The origin of the phrase “The whole nine yards”.) At the time looms were only able to weave fabric up to about 30 inches wide. To make a great kilt the tartan would be cut in half, leaving you with two pieces, each about 30 inches wide and 4 ½ yards long. The two pieces would then be sewn together side by side, making the finished great kilt about 60 inches wide and 4 ½ yards long.
Our Homespun tartan is made from a 55/45 blend of polyester and wool. Homespun tartan is woven 52″-54″ wide. It is woven by hand on old-world looms, and looks very authentic to what would have been woven historically. The yarn is worsted, but not spun as tightly as modern machine-made tartan. The cloth is also not as tightly woven. Homespun tartan will pleat by hand easily, but will not develop a sharp edge. Small snags, pulls, holes and other assorted blemishes are common. Because it is hand woven, these flaws are a natural part of it’s character. Homespun is approximately a 9/10oz. fabric, but feels thicker due to it’s looser weave.
Pleating instructions are included with each kilt. Traditionally these kilts are pleated each time you wear them. We ask for size information to be sure that your kilt will fit you correctly, but we do not pleat the kilt for you unless you also select Cheater Pleats™ as an additional option. Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.
A 4 yard kilt will fit up to about a 34 inch waist, a 5 yard kilt will fit up to about a 44 inch waist, and a 6 yard kilt will fit up to about a 50 inch waist. If you are larger than this please contact us for pricing on larger kilts. Also, If your waist size is close to one of these limits, consider the next size larger if you want deeper pleats or pleats closer together. For example:
If you have a 34 inch waist, a 4 yd greatkilt will have pleats 1.5 – 2 inches wide and 3-4 inches deep. A 5 yd greatkilt will have pleats approximately 1 inch wide and 3-4 inches deep or 1.5 – 2 inches wide and 6-8 inches deep. In this example a 6 yd greatkilt would be overkill with a 34 inch waist, but it would have pleats about 1 inch wide and 6-8 inches deep.
4 yds (fits up to a 34in waist)
5 yds (fits up to a 44in waist)
6 yds (fits up to a 52in waist)
How to measure for your Greatkilt:
1) Measure the waist size at your actual waist, where you usually wear your pants.
2) Measure from your waist to about the middle of the knee.
Have someone help you. If you bend even a little while trying to do it yourself, the measurement will change.
Note — The length measurement is really only relevant if you are adding Cheater Pleats™, but the form above asks for it regardless, so you might as well do it right!
|Great Kilt Size||
4 Yard Great Kilt, 5 Yard Great Kilt, 6 Yard Great Kilt
|Waist Size (Inches)||
26W, 27W, 28W, 29W, 30W, 31W, 32W, 33W, 34W, 35W, 36W, 37W, 38W, 39W, 40W, 41W, 42W, 43W, 44W, 45W, 46W, 47W, 48W, 49W, 50W, 51W, 52W, 53W, 54W, 55W, 56W, 57W, 58W, 59W, 60W
|Kilt Length (Inches)||
18L, 19L, 20L, 21L, 22L, 23L, 24L, 25L, 26L
4ft 11in, 5ft 0in, 5ft 1in, 5ft 2in, 5ft 3in, 5ft 4in, 5ft 5in, 5ft 6in, 5ft 7in, 5ft 8in, 5ft 9in, 5ft 10in, 5ft 11in, 6ft 0in, 6ft 1in, 6ft 2in, 6ft 3in, 6ft 4in, 6ft 5in, 6ft 6in
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- The Clan Crest Kilt Belt Buckle is made in Scotland from high-quality lead-free pewter with an antiqued finish for maximum authenticity
- Display your heritage and pride with over 200 clan crest options available
- The versatile piece fits any standard kilt belt
- The belt buckle measures 4 x 2.75 inches, so it’s sure to be noticed
- Premium quality pure lead-free pewter
- Hinged lid with sturdy handle
- Lid is accented with pewter clan crest and Celtic knot work
- 16oz. capacity
- Made in Scotland
- Available in over 250 clan crests
- Non clan crest available
- Custom-order your Clan Crest Plaid Brooch for an enduring heirloom that your family will treasure for generations to come
- Made from the finest quality pewter and featuring an intricate Celtic Knot design, the brooch is expertly hand-crafted in Scotland
- Choose from over 200 clan crests and five different gem colors: blue, purple, yellow, green, or red
- 2 ⅞ inch diameter, its sturdy, high-quality pin back affixes to your sash or plaid
- Our authentic Tartan Glengarries—Spring Weight are custom-made in Scotland from your choice of over 500 tartans.
- They’re perfect for casual to formal occasions. Leave the ribbons untied for historical accuracy.
- Made with spring weight (8 oz) premium wool, they’re available in sizes small to extra large.
- These versatile pieces are made to be worn by men and women. The cap badge is not included.