US Army Homespun Great Kilt
- SKU: KGMH1B
- Categories: Great Kilts, In Stock, Kilts, Military, Military Tartan Kilts, US Army Tartan Kilts
- Tags: Custom-Order, Homespun, Military, U.S. Army, Wool Blend
- Homespun poly/wool blend fabric
- Made in the USA at The Celtic Croft
- 4 Yard (fits up to a 38″ waist)
- 5 Yard (fits up to a 48″ waist)
- 6 Yard (fits up to a 60″ waist)
$175.00 – $345.00
US Army Homespun Great Kilt
It is hard to beat a traditional great kilt! (Also known as the “breacan an fheilidh” or “feile mor”.) The great kilt dates back to at least the 16th century, and it’s the most traditional and recognizable form of the kilt for Renaissance Festivals or other reenactment events.
What is the Great Kilt?
Only the most common and easily recognized historic style of kilts! Historically it took 9 yards of cloth to make a great kilt. (The origin of the phrase “The whole nine yards”.) At the time looms were only able to weave fabric up to about 30 inches wide. To make a great kilt the tartan would be cut in half, leaving you with two pieces, each about 30 inches wide and 4 ½ yards long. The two pieces would then be sewn together side by side, making the finished great kilt about 60 inches wide and 4 ½ yards long.
Our Homespun Great Kilts are made in the USA from Homespun tartan wool blend. Perfect for Renaissance festivals, Renaissance weddings, casual wear, Irish fairs and Highland games. Our Homespun tartan is made from a 55/45 blend of polyester and wool. Homespun tartan is woven 52″-54″ wide. It is woven by hand on old-world looms, and looks very authentic to what would have been woven historically. The yarn is worsted, but not spun as tightly as modern machine-made tartan. The cloth is also not as tightly woven. Homespun tartan will pleat by hand easily, but will not develop a sharp edge. Small snags, pulls, holes and other assorted blemishes are common. Because it is hand woven, these flaws are a natural part of it’s character. Homespun is approximately a 9/10oz. fabric, but feels thicker due to it’s looser weave.
Pleating instructions are included with each kilt. Traditionally these kilts are pleated each time you wear them. We ask for size information to be sure that your kilt will fit you correctly, but we do not pleat the kilt for you unless you also select Cheater Pleats™ as an additional option.
A 4 yard kilt will fit up to about a 34 inch waist, a 5 yard kilt will fit up to about a 44 inch waist, and a 6 yard kilt will fit up to about a 50 inch waist. If you are larger than this please contact us for pricing on larger kilts. Also, If your waist size is close to one of these limits, consider the next size larger if you want deeper pleats or pleats closer together. For example:
If you have a 34 inch waist, a 4 yd great kilt will have pleats 1.5 – 2 inches wide and 3-4 inches deep. A 5 yd great kilt will have pleats approximately 1 inch wide and 3-4 inches deep or 1.5 – 2 inches wide and 6-8 inches deep. In this example a 6 yd great kilt would be overkill with a 34 inch waist, but it would have pleats about 1 inch wide and 6-8 inches deep.
4 yds, (fits up to a 38in waist)
5 yds, (fits up to a 48in waist)
6 yds, (fits up to a 60in waist)
How to measure for your Great Kilt:
1) Measure the waist size at your actual waist, where you usually wear your pants.
2) Measure from your waist to about the middle of the knee.
Have someone help you. If you bend even a little while trying to do it yourself, the measurement will change.
Note — The length measurement is really only relevant if you are adding Cheater Pleats™, but the form above asks for it regardless, so you might as well do it right!
|Great Kilt Size||
4 Yard Great Kilt, 5 Yard Great Kilt, 6 Yard Great Kilt
|Waist Size (Inches)||
26W, 27W, 28W, 29W, 30W, 31W, 32W, 33W, 34W, 35W, 36W, 37W, 38W, 39W, 40W, 41W, 42W, 43W, 44W, 45W, 46W, 47W, 48W, 49W, 50W, 51W, 52W, 53W, 54W, 55W, 56W, 57W, 58W, 59W, 60W
18L, 19L, 20L, 21L, 22L, 23L, 24L, 25L, 26L
4ft 11in, 5ft 0in, 5ft 1in, 5ft 2in, 5ft 3in, 5ft 4in, 5ft 5in, 5ft 6in, 5ft 7in, 5ft 8in, 5ft 9in, 5ft 10in, 5ft 11in, 6ft 0in, 6ft 1in, 6ft 2in, 6ft 3in, 6ft 4in, 6ft 5in, 6ft 6in
No Pleats, Pleat to Sett, Pleat to Stripe, Box Pleats
Do not iron, Lightly ironed, Crisply ironed
|Straps and Buckles||
No Straps or Buckles, Add Straps and Buckles
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- Traditional Ancient Kilt is woven in Scotland with 100% wool tartan
- Woven by the same weaver as the kilts in the movie Rob Roy with an authentic and rustic look
- Comes with pleating instructions for your convenience
- Custom-made for a perfect fit with cheater pleats available too
Made in the USA from medium weight (12/13 oz) premium wool tartan, woven in Scotland. Tartan availability is more limited, but if you are going to go with modern tartan rather than homespun, and if your tartan happens to be available, we recommend a medium weight kilt.
- Affordable, durable option made with hypoallergenic acrylic fiber makes the Irish Tartan AcryliKilt a perfect first kilt that is easy to care for
- This cool and lightweight kilt in Irish tartan is an ideal choice for summer months and for those with an active lifestyle
- Tough with a high-quality appearance, this kilt is made for versatility. It includes belt loops, three straps, and a buckle
- This kilt comes with our Right Fit™ Guarantee, meaning an affordable, comfortable, and well-fitting kilt is within reach
- These authentic Irish Phillabegs are perfect for Renaissance festivals, Irish fairs, and Highland Games
- Our homespun tartan is woven by hand on old-world looms for an authentic look
- Made with a quality, comfortable 55/45 blend of polyester and wool
- Available in three Irish tartans and come with pleating instructions for your convenience or add cheater pleats.