Homespun Great Kilt
- 4 Yard (fits up to a 38″ waist) $159.00
- 5 Yard (fits up to a 48″ waist) $199.00
- 6 Yard (fits up to a 60″ waist) $239.00
Homespun Great Kilt
This great kilt is made in house by our very talented kilt marker from our in stock homespun poly/wool double width tartan. Available in a 4 yard, 5 yard, or 6 yard pre- pleated Cheater pleats or tradition for you to pleat yourselves.
- Cheater Pleats are Available
- Homespun poly/wool blend fabric
- Made in the USA at The Celtic Croft
- Made by very talented kilt maker
- 52″-54″ double width tartan
- Only 1-2 week delivery
The Great kilt and a bit O’history
The great kilt being a double width allows the bottom to be pleated while the rest is thrown up on the shoulders or tucked into the waist band to create its cape like hood to be protected from Y’Fine Scottish weather. When the sun shined the extra fabric could be wrapped and tucked into the waist to create loops and folds that were used to shove your kill of the day, or other items. The great kilt was used as a form on clothing The great kilt enjoyed popularity until the Act of 1746 banned all forms of Highland Dress.
How to measure for your Great kilt:
- Measure the waist size at your actual waist, where you usually wear your pants.
- Measure from your waist to about the middle of the knee.
- Have someone help you. If you bend even a little while trying to do it yourself, the measurement will change.
- The length measurement is really only relevant if you are adding Cheater Pleats, but the form above asks for it regardless, so you might as well do it right!
|4 Yard||Fits up to 38″ Waist|
|5 Yard||Fits up to a 48″ Waist|
|6 Yard||Fits up to a 60″ Waist|
If you are larger than this please contact us for pricing on larger kilts. Also, If your waist size is close to one of these limits, consider the next size larger if you want deeper pleats or pleats closer together.
What is Homespun Tartan
Homespun tartan is made from a 55/45 blend of polyester and wool. Woven 52″-54″ wide by hand on old-world looms, and looks very authentic to what would have been woven historically. The yarn is worsted, but not spun as tightly as modern machine-made tartan. The cloth is also not as tightly woven. Homespun tartan will pleat by hand easily, but will not develop a sharp edge. Small snags, pulls, holes and other assorted blemishes are common. Because it is hand woven, these flaws are a natural part of it’s character. Homespun is approximately a 9/10oz. fabric, but feels thicker due to it’s looser weave. View our selection of Stock Homespun Tartans
Pleat your own or Cheater Pleats™
Included with each kilt. are pleating instructions. Traditionally these kilts are pleated each time you wear them. We ask for size information to be sure that your kilt will fit you correctly, but we do not pleat the kilt for you unless you add Cheater Pleats as an Added Option. Please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery. If you add Cheater Pleats™ to your kilt, it becomes a custom-made item. Custom-order terms and conditions apply. Please click to view important information about custom-order items.
Right Fit Guaranteed!
Our goal is to make the ordering of your kilt as stress free and enjoyable as possible. We know it’s a big commitment to spend hundreds of dollars on a custom-made kilt. The last thing you need to worry about is whether or not your kilt will fit you like it should. So, to put you at ease, we are willing to guarantee your kilt will fit! Please see our Right Fit™ Guarantee for all the details.
We look forward to handling your kilt order! Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions. (Also, we would love to have some feedback from you if our fit guarantee helped you to make your decision to order.) Thanks!
NOTE — Made-to-order in house. Please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery.
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- Made in the USA
- Great Kilt in Poly/Viscose Tartan
- Fabric Woven in Scotland
- Light Weight Tartan
- Thin, Breathable Fabric
- Softer, cooler, and more Durable than Wool
- Wool-Free and Hypoallergenic
- Recommended for Summer Events
- Tartan Woven in Scotland
- The Same Tartan from the Movie!
- Great Kilt Made in the USA
- Perfect for Ren Faires/Fests
- Ancient Highland Look
- Very Rustic
- Comes with Pleating Instructions
- 25-30″ Wide (The Length When Worn)
- Length of Fabric Cut to Your Measurements (To Fit Your Waist)
- Made in the USA
- Homespun Tartan
- 55% Polyester 45% Wool
- Measures Approx. 54″ x 54″
- Over 70 Tartans Available
- Get a Pair to Match Your Kilt!
- Choose from Over 70 Tartans
- Measure from Kilt Waist to top of Your Shoulder
- Made Custom to Your Measurements
- High Quality Black Elastic Material
- Chrome-Plated Hardware and Clamps
- Tartan Sleeves Wrap Over the Suspenders
- Additional Pairs Available at Reduced Cost