Rob Roy Movie Tartan Ancient Kilt
- Traditional Ancient Kilt is woven in Scotland with 100% wool tartan
- Woven by the same weaver as the kilts in the movie Rob Roy with an authentic and rustic look
- Comes with pleating instructions for your convenience
- Custom-made for a perfect fit with cheater pleats available too
Rob Roy Movie Tartan Ancient Kilt
The Ancient Kilt is a phillabeg that has extra tartan attached that can be used as a sash or fly plaid for a more complete Celtic look. It is the same type of kilt worn by Sir William Wallace in Braveheart. And as a Rob Roy fan, you’re sure to recognize the tartan from the movie—it’s woven in Scotland by the same weaver used in the film for an authentic and rustic look. This makes a perfect custom-made outfit for your next Ren Fair or Highland Games that’s sure to impress. With the single-width fabric, the Ancient Kilts have less material and are cooler to wear than Great Kilts too!
Our Braveheart kilts are made-to-order from fabric that is supposed to be in stock. This makes it essentially a stock item, and we can usually get them made and shipped in a day or two – but it depends a lot on the time of year and how busy we are. In general, please allow 1-3 weeks for delivery.
Pleating instructions are included with each kilt. Traditionally these kilts are pleated each time you wear them. We ask for size information to be sure that your kilt will fit you correctly, but we do not pleat the kilt for you unless you also select Cheater Pleats™ as an additional option.
Note — Modern kilts are generally pleated so that the front apron of the kilt closes from left to right. For years this is how we’ve Cheater Pleated™ our Ancient Kilts. However, many customers brought it to our attention that this makes it difficult to wear the plaid over the left shoulder, which is also customary.
So, we’ve decided to make all Ancient Kilts the other way — front apron closing from right to left. This makes the aprons “backwards” compared to a modern kilt, but it allows the plaid to flow up and over the left shoulder. (This is the way Mel wears it in the Braveheart movie.)
Incidentally, plaid over left shoulder is not a hard and fast rule. It most likely originated as a practical way to keep the plaid off your sword arm. If you are left-handed, you will probably want to wear the plaid over your right shoulder. Just let us know — we can Cheater Pleat™ your kilt either way you want!
- 6 yard Ancient Kilt fits up to about a 38 inch waist.
- 8 yard Ancient Kilt fits up to about a 48 inch waist.
- 10 yard Ancient Kilt fits up to about about a 54 inch waist.
- Larger kilts are available. Please contact us.
Depending on waist size, pleats will vary between one and two inches wide (pleats will get wider as waist size increases). If your waist size is close to one of the limits above, consider the next size larger if you want deeper pleats or pleats closer together.
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- Traditional balmoral made from 100% felted wool, perfect for Highland dress
- Choose between four colors and patterns to match your favorite kilts and Celtic outfits
- Lined for your comfort with Grosgrain ribbon down the back
- Available in sizes 6.75-8 to fit various heads
- Tartan Woven In Scotland
- Plaid Made in the USA
- Ancient Kilt
- From Outlander: the Series
- Officially Licensed Tartan
- 100% Premium Wool
- Practical Design
- Braveheart Style Kilt
- Kid’s Size
- 18″-26″ Waist
- 10″-15″ Length
- Approx. Sizes 6-10
- Tartan Woven in Scotland
- Ancient Kilt Made in the USA
- Braveheart Style
- Perfect for Ren Faires/Fests
- Cool and Practical Design
- Ancient Highland Look
- Extra Long Apron to Use as a Fly Plaid
- Over 500 Tartans Available!
- 25-30″ Wide (The Length When Worn)
- Length of Fabric Cut to Your Measurements (To Fit Your Waist)