Irish Tartan Starter Kilts
Our Starter Kilts are great for athletes, casual wear, first-time buyers, those on a budget, or as an extra kilt to save wear and tear on your nicer kilts. They are also nice enough that we have many customers use them for weddings and other formal occasions.
- Kilt in Irish Tartan
- Affordable, Durable
- Homespun Tartan Fabric
- Easy Care Poly/Wool Blend
- 1″ Wide and 3-4″ Deep Pleats
- Fully Lined with Black Fabric
- Three Straps and Buckles
- Belt Loops Included
These are good looking kilts, especially for the price. They are made from 4-6 yds (depending on waist size) of our Homespun tartan, and pleated in the back just like more expensive kilts. The machine-stitched pleats are each about 1″ wide, and 3-4″ deep. They are fully lined with three straps and buckles and belt loops.
HOWEVER, please keep in mind that the Starter Kilt is NOT a custom tailored kilt, so it will most likely not fit as if it was tailored for you. The waist and hip size is about the same. If your hip measurement is more than 4 inches larger than your waist, then the kilt may not fit well. If you are looking for a tailor made look, please purchase one of our Premium Custom-Tailored Kilts.
About the Fabric
Our Homespun Tartan is made from a 55/45 blend of polyester & wool, woven by hand on old-world looms. It looks very authentic to what would have been woven historically. The yarn is worsted, but not spun as tightly as modern machine-made tartan. The cloth is also not as tightly woven. Homespun tartan will pleat by hand easily, but will not develop a sharp edge. Small snags, pulls, holes and other assorted blemishes are common. Because it is hand woven, these flaws are a natural part of it’s character.
How To Measure for Your Kilt
- Have someone help you. If you bend over even a bit, your measurement will not be correct.
- Measure your waist size in inches at the navel (belly button). This is the traditional kilt waist. Alternatively, for a more casual look, many men prefer to wear their kilts at the pants waist. If this is what you choose, then measure comfortably around your waist where the top of your pants rest. Or, If you intend to wear your kilt mostly for formal occasions, and you have a bit more around the middle than you might like to have, you may want to measure a little higher than the navel to get over the crest of the “beer gut”. The higher waist will help your kilt stay up where it belongs.
- Measure around your hips (butt) at the fullest point (usually 6-8 inches below the waist).
- Measure from your waist (kilt waist or pants waist accordingly) to about the middle of the knee.
Your Kilt is Guaranteed to Fit!
Our goal is to make the ordering of your kilt as stress free and enjoyable as possible. The last thing you need to worry about is whether or not your kilt will fit you like it should. So, to put you at ease, we are willing to guarantee your kilt will fit! Please see our Right Fit™ Guarantee for all the details.
We look forward to handling your kilt order! Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions. (Also, we would love to have some feedback from you if our fit guarantee helped you to make your decision to order.) Thanks!