Welsh Dragon Pewter Kilt Belt Buckle
- SKU: ABBW01
- Categories: Highland Accessories, Kilt Belts and Buckles, Quality Kilt Belt Buckles, Military and Law Enforcement, Law and Fire, Featured, Welsh Tartans and Stuff
- Tags: Dragon, Made in Scotland, Pewter, Welsh
- Made in the UK
- Cast from lead-free pewter
- Fits All Standard Kilt Belts
- Measures Approx. 4″ x 3″
The Dragon has almost always been a symbol of the Britons, mostly known today in Wales, but also in other Brythonic parts of Britain, such as the West Country. The Dragon Rampant can be found as a heraldic supporter for many of the towns and families of Wales, as well as the flag of Somerset.
The proud and ancient battle standard of the Welsh is The Red Dragon (Y Ddraig Goch) and consists of a red dragon, passant (standing with one foot raised), on a green and white background. As with any ancient symbol, the appearance of the dragon has been adapted and changed over the years, and hence several different variations exist.
The current flag was officially adopted in 1959, and is based on an old royal badge used by British kings and queens since Tudor times. The red dragon itself has been associated with Wales for centuries, and as such, the flag is claimed to be the oldest national flag still in use. But why a dragon? The answer to that particular question is lost in history and myth.
One legend recalls Romano-British soldiers carrying the red dragon (Draco) to Rome on their banners in the fourth-century, but it could be even older than that.
It is considered that the Welsh kings of Aberffraw first adopted the dragon in the early fifth century in order to symbolize their power and authority after the Romans withdrew from Britain. Later, around the seventh century, it became known as the Red Dragon of Cadwaladr, king of Gwynedd from 655 to 682.
You may also like…
Update all similar products that you may like!
- Measures Approx. 2.75″ Squared
- Reads “Fire Rescue”
- Cross of Saint Florian
- Central Scramble Represents Preparedness
- Bugle Symbolizes Leadership
- Features a Halligan Bar, Helmet, Ladder, Bugle
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- Made in Scotland and features famous Scottish symbols of the rampant lions and the saltire flag
- Crisp, clean design that allows the artistry to be clearly seen—a true quality statement piece
- Solid cast brass buckle with antiqued silver finish
- Measures 4 inches by 3 inches and is compatible with all standard kilt belts (2.25 inches wide)
- Made in the UK and fits all standard kilt belts (2.25 inches wide)
- Solid cast brass with an antiqued silver finish
- Handsome design featuring the Scottish thistle and the famous Masonic symbol of the square and compass
- Measures approximately 4 inches by 3 inches
- 100% cast pewter kilt belt buckle.
- Made in the USA by Don McKee, world-renowned craftsman, for guaranteed quality and authentic design
- Hidden St. Andrew’s cross between Celtic knot designs. Eye-catching and personal details make this piece unique
- Harken back to Celtic history by wearing an interlacing Celtic knot with St. Andrew’s cross detail
- Well-made pewter kilt belt crafted directly in Scotland
- Features a beautiful and traditional stag head and Celtic knot design
- Perfect for use with any kilt or non-kilt outfit
- Measures approximately 4 inches x 3 inches and is solid but lightweight