Gold Welsh Dragon Belt Buckle
- SKU: ABBW04
- Categories: Featured, Highland Accessories, Kilt Belts and Buckles, Law and Fire, Military and Law Enforcement, Quality Kilt Belt Buckles, Welsh Tartans and Stuff
- Tags: Dragon, Gold, Pewter, Special-Order, Welsh
- Made in the UK
- Cast from lead-free pewter with gold finish
- Fits All Standard Kilt Belts
- Measures Approx. 4″ x 3″
The Dragon has almost always been a symbol of the Britons, mostly known today in Wales, but also in other Brythonic parts of Britain, such as the West Country. The Dragon Rampant can be found as a heraldic supporter for many of the towns and families of Wales, as well as the flag of Somerset.
The proud and ancient battle standard of the Welsh is The Red Dragon (Y Ddraig Goch) and consists of a red dragon, passant (standing with one foot raised), on a green and white background. As with any ancient symbol, the appearance of the dragon has been adapted and changed over the years, and hence several different variations exist.
The current flag was officially adopted in 1959, and is based on an old royal badge used by British kings and queens since Tudor times. The red dragon itself has been associated with Wales for centuries, and as such, the flag is claimed to be the oldest national flag still in use. But why a dragon? The answer to that particular question is lost in history and myth.
One legend recalls Romano-British soldiers carrying the red dragon (Draco) to Rome on their banners in the fourth-century, but it could be even older than that.
It is considered that the Welsh kings of Aberffraw first adopted the dragon in the early fifth century in order to symbolize their power and authority after the Romans withdrew from Britain. Later, around the seventh century, it became known as the Red Dragon of Cadwaladr, king of Gwynedd from 655 to 682.
You may also like…
Update all similar products that you may like!
- Measures Approx. 2.75″ Squared
- Reads “Fire Rescue”
- Cross of Saint Florian
- Central Scramble Represents Preparedness
- Bugle Symbolizes Leadership
- Features a Halligan Bar, Helmet, Ladder, Bugle
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- 3-inch wide kilt belt made from extra thick full-grain leather
- Strong and stylish solid brass buckle
- Perfect for use with any historic style kilt, choose between black or brown
- Available in sizes S-XXL to fit waists from 28 to 56 inches
- Hand-made in the USA
- Cast brass belt buckle with antiqued silver finish and is embellished with Celtic Cross design
- Designed to fit all standard kilt belts, which are generally 2¼ inches wide and pairs perfectly with any Celtic outfit
- Measures approximately 4 inches x 3 inches and is a subtle accessory to pair with your kilt
- Wear the history of the Celtic cross to celebrate your Celtic heritage dating back to as early as the ninth century
- Made by world-renowned artist and craftsman Don McKee and is sturdy with intricate detail
- Features Scottish thistle symbol and represents Celtic bravery, determination, and nobility
- Fits any standard kilt belt (2.5 inches wide) and is appropriate for any kilted outfit
- Made in the USA from solid cast pewter
- The Highland Swirl Antiquated Kilt Belt Buckle is a solid brass belt buckle made in Scotland.
- This piece features a detailed, traditional Celtic knot design with an antique silver finish.
- It’s perfect for use with any kilt or at your next re-enactment.
- The buckle measures approximately 4 inches x 3 inches, making it lightweight but solid.