Gold Welsh Dragon Belt Buckle
- SKU: ABBW04
- Categories: Highland Accessories, Kilt Belts and Buckles, Quality Kilt Belt Buckles, Military and Law Enforcement, Law and Fire, Featured, Welsh Tartans and Stuff
- Tags: Dragon, Gold, Pewter, Special-Order, Welsh
- Made in the UK
- Cast from lead-free pewter with gold finish
- Fits All Standard Kilt Belts
- Measures Approx. 4″ x 3″
The Dragon has almost always been a symbol of the Britons, mostly known today in Wales, but also in other Brythonic parts of Britain, such as the West Country. The Dragon Rampant can be found as a heraldic supporter for many of the towns and families of Wales, as well as the flag of Somerset.
The proud and ancient battle standard of the Welsh is The Red Dragon (Y Ddraig Goch) and consists of a red dragon, passant (standing with one foot raised), on a green and white background. As with any ancient symbol, the appearance of the dragon has been adapted and changed over the years, and hence several different variations exist.
The current flag was officially adopted in 1959, and is based on an old royal badge used by British kings and queens since Tudor times. The red dragon itself has been associated with Wales for centuries, and as such, the flag is claimed to be the oldest national flag still in use. But why a dragon? The answer to that particular question is lost in history and myth.
One legend recalls Romano-British soldiers carrying the red dragon (Draco) to Rome on their banners in the fourth-century, but it could be even older than that.
It is considered that the Welsh kings of Aberffraw first adopted the dragon in the early fifth century in order to symbolize their power and authority after the Romans withdrew from Britain. Later, around the seventh century, it became known as the Red Dragon of Cadwaladr, king of Gwynedd from 655 to 682.
You may also like…
Update all similar products that you may like!
- Measures Approx. 2.75″ Squared
- Reads “Fire Rescue”
- Cross of Saint Florian
- Central Scramble Represents Preparedness
- Bugle Symbolizes Leadership
- Features a Halligan Bar, Helmet, Ladder, Bugle
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- The Highland Swirl Antiquated Kilt Belt Buckle is a solid brass belt buckle made in Scotland.
- This piece features a detailed, traditional Celtic knot design with an antique silver finish.
- It’s perfect for use with any kilt or at your next re-enactment.
- The buckle measures approximately 4 inches x 3 inches, making it lightweight but solid.
- The Clan Crest Kilt Belt Buckle is made in Scotland from high-quality lead-free pewter with an antiqued finish for maximum authenticity
- Display your heritage and pride with over 200 clan crest options available
- The versatile piece fits any standard kilt belt
- The belt buckle measures 4 x 2.75 inches, so it’s sure to be noticed
- Kilt belt made in Scotland with quality black leather
- Features a deeply embossed Celtic knot design
- Measures 2¼ inches wide to fit any kilt and buckle, with velcro closure for your comfort and adjustability
- Available in sizes Small – 3X to accommodate every size
- High-Quality Lead-Free Pewter
- Cast in Scotland
- Choice of 50+ Irish Family Names
- Fits All Standard Kilt Belts