Welsh Dragon Pewter Cap Badge/Brooch
- SKU: ACBWD
- Categories: Highland Accessories, Badges and Brooches, Cap Badges and Brooches, Featured, Welsh Tartans and Stuff, The Magic of Beltane
- Tags: Dragon, Made in Scotland, Pewter, Welsh
- About 2″ x 2.5″
- Made from solid Pewter
- Made in Scotland
The Dragon has almost always been a symbol of the Britons, mostly known today in Wales, but also in other Brythonic parts of Britain, such as the West Country. The Dragon Rampant can be found as a heraldic supporter for many of the towns and families of Wales, as well as the flag of Somerset.
The proud and ancient battle standard of the Welsh is The Red Dragon (Y Ddraig Goch) and consists of a red dragon, passant (standing with one foot raised), on a green and white background. As with any ancient symbol, the appearance of the dragon has been adapted and changed over the years, and hence several different variations exist.
The current flag was officially adopted in 1959, and is based on an old royal badge used by British kings and queens since Tudor times. The red dragon itself has been associated with Wales for centuries, and as such, the flag is claimed to be the oldest national flag still in use. But why a dragon? The answer to that particular question is lost in history and myth.
One legend recalls Romano-British soldiers carrying the red dragon (Draco) to Rome on their banners in the fourth-century, but it could be even older than that.
It is considered that the Welsh kings of Aberffraw first adopted the dragon in the early fifth century in order to symbolize their power and authority after the Romans withdrew from Britain. Later, around the seventh century, it became known as the Red Dragon of Cadwaladr, king of Gwynedd from 655 to 682.
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- The Clan Crest Mini Brooch is made in Scotland from high-quality, lead-free pewter for authentic Celtic style
- It features rhodium plating for a shiny finish
- This heirloom-quality piece measures 1 inch, the perfect size to add to sashes and scarves
- These brooches are available in 100+ clan crests, so you can choose yours
- U.S. Marine Corps Gold Plated Badge/Brooch is made by world-famous sculptor Don McKee (USMC, Ret.)
- Made in the US, for true-blue American authenticity
- 24K gold plate makes this piece an instant heirloom
- 1.5-inch diameter for an eye-catching statement piece
- This cast pewter, rampant lion brooch is the perfect accessory to showcase your Scottish heritage while striking fear into the heart of your enemies
- Made from authentic cast pewter by Don McKee, celebrated Celtic craftsman, for added Scottish authenticity and uniqueness
- Measures approximately 3.5 inches by 3.5 inches, subtle enough to make an impression without being overwhelming, but solid enough to hold together a great or ancient kilt
- The rampant lion is a Scottish symbol of strength, valor, and battle victory with its claws raised, ready to strike—it was incorporated into Great Seal of Scotland, which was impressed on all official documents