Welsh Dragon Cap Badge/Brooch
- SKU: ACBWD
- Categories: Highland Accessories, Badges and Brooches, Cap Badges and Brooches, Featured, Welsh Tartans and Stuff, The Magic of Beltane
- Tags: Dragon, Made in Scotland, Pewter, Welsh
- About 2″ x 2.5″
- Made from solid Pewter
- Made in Scotland
The Dragon has almost always been a symbol of the Britons, mostly known today in Wales, but also in other Brythonic parts of Britian, such as the West Country. The Dragon Rampant can be found as a heraldic supporter for many of the towns and families of Wales, as well as the flag of Somerset.
The proud and ancient battle standard of the Welsh is The Red Dragon (Y Ddraig Goch) and consists of a red dragon, passant (standing with one foot raised), on a green and white background. As with any ancient symbol, the appearance of the dragon has been adapted and changed over the years, and hence several different variations exist.
The current flag was officially adopted in 1959, and is based on an old royal badge used by British kings and queens since Tudor times. The red dragon itself has been associated with Wales for centuries, and as such, the flag is claimed to be the oldest national flag still in use. But why a dragon? The answer to that particular question is lost in history and myth.
One legend recalls Romano-British soldiers carrying the red dragon (Draco) to Rome on their banners in the fourth-century, but it could be even older than that.
It is considered that the Welsh kings of Aberffraw first adopted the dragon in the early fifth century in order to symbolise their power and authority after the Romans withdrew from Britain. Later, around the seventh century, it became known as the Red Dragon of Cadwaladr, king of Gwynedd from 655 to 682.
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- The high-quality lead-free pewter Machine Gears Steampunk Cap badge/brooch features a steampunk machine gear design
- Attach this versatile badge/brooch to pin your kilt, cap, or bag—or pin to a board in your office
- It measures approximately 2 inches wide and 2.5 inches tall for a subtle accessory to your cap or bag
- Made in Scotland it’s non-clan-specific for a more modern steampunk aesthetic. The ribbon carries the Latin phrase Illegitimus Non Carborundum
- Wear this Officially Licensed U.S. Marine Corps Pewter Cap Badge/Brooch and proudly display your pride of service. Or give as a gift to someone who served
- Cast in the USA, this high-quality lead-free pewter cap badge/brooch measures 1.75 inches by 2.25 inches
- You can wear this handsome piece on your cap, sash, fly plaid, or anywhere you like
- Support the U.S. Marine Corps with a 10% royalty on your purchase goes to benefit Marines and their families
- The Art Pewter Clan Crest Cap Badge or Brooch is made in Scotland by skilled craftsmen Art Pewter
- Measures 1⅝ inches and is perfect to wear as a cap badge, brooch, kilt pin, pinned onto a backpack or tote bag, etc.
- Available in over 200 clan crests, it’s cast in solid pewter with shiny rhodium-plated white gold finish
- This high-quality, attractive piece is perfect for any occasion
- Our Law Enforcement Plaid Brooch is made in Scotland and cast in lead-free pewter
- This piece features an eagle atop a crest bearing the police motto “Protect and Serve,” and the scales of justice
- Measures approximately 3 inches
- This brooch boasts sapphire blue cubic zirconia gemstones