Lamont Ancient 4 Yard Phillabeg – Homespun Wool Blend – 30W 19L
- SKU: KILT-IS-2328
- Categories: A-Z by Name or Tartan, Clearance and Specials, Clearance Kilts, LIST L, Off the Rack Specials – Quality Kilts
- Tags: Homespun, Wool Blend
Only 1 left in stock
Lamont Ancient 4 Yard Phillabeg – Homespun Wool Blend – You can add straps and buckles.
The homespun phillabeg kilt is favored by many! They are light and comfortable, and allow maximum freedom of movement. Made similar to an Ancient kilt with out the extra fabric that is used to make the sash. The Phillabeg is made from single width homespun tartan. Add straps and buckles for ease-ability! Made in house by our very skilled kilt maker. Made in the USA!
- Homespun poly/wool blend fabric
- Made in the USA at The Celtic Croft
- Made by very talented kilt maker
The Phillabeg a.k.a. phille-bheagh, feilidh-beag, or “little kilt”
The phillabeg can be traced historically back to at least the late 1600’s. The little phillabeg, is actually an earlier predecessor of today’s modern kilt. Unlike a modern kilt, it is not a tailored garment. It is simply a length of tartan about 25″ wide and 4-6 yds long, loosely bunched or pleated, and held at the waist with a belt. It is worn to about the middle of the knee, just like any other kilt. One of the things that makes a phillabeg distinctive, is that it has a few inches of tartan flapping over the belt. This flap-over helps keep the belt in place — without it, the kilt might slip loose from the belt, leaving you standing in your skivvies (or worse!).
What is Homespun Tartan
Our Homespun tartan is made from a 55/45 blend of polyester and wool. Homespun tartan is woven 52″-54″ wide. It is woven by hand on old-world looms, and looks very authentic to what would have been woven historically. The yarn is worsted, but not spun as tightly as modern machine-made tartan. The cloth is also not as tightly woven. Homespun tartan will pleat by hand easily, but will not develop a sharp edge. Small snags, pulls, holes and other assorted blemishes are common. Because it is hand woven, these flaws are a natural part of it’s character. Homespun is approximately a 9/10oz. fabric, but feels thicker due to it’s looser weave.
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- Our handmade, soft, 100% cotton Celtic Knot Book Bags are embellished with a Celtic knot design
- Choose from black, red, green, or purple according to your style
- They’re hand-dyed, so each bag is unique with a zip closure that keeps your books (or other belongings) secure
- The body of the bag measures 10 inches tall and 15 inches wide. Keep your bag close with an approximately 17 inch long strap