The Scottish thistle is a resilient little weed has always bloomed across Scotland’s landscape, but it wasn’t until the 13th century that it’s place in the country’s symbolism and written history began. One of the best-known thistle legends takes place in the mid 13th century during a surprise invasion by the soldiers of the Norse king, Haakon, at Largs (one of western Scotland’s coastal towns).
The story has it that after coming ashore, this Viking force planned to creep up on the Scottish Clansmen and Highlanders and overcome them while they slept. This amount of stealth required that they go barefoot – which proved to be their undoing. Unfortunately for these unwary invaders, one of their soldiers bare feet came down hard on a Scottish thistle and his cries of shock and pain were enough to wake the sleeping Scots. Leaping to their feet, the clansmen charged into battle and the rest, as they say, is history… and yes, the fiery Scots were victorious.
- Measures .8 in x 1 in
- Made in Scotland
Include products updated are similar or are same of quality
- The latest edition of Euro Talk’s Scottish Gaelic for beginners
- Use a CD-ROM or download to your computer for convenient access
- Makes learning Scottish Gaelic easy with addictive games and activities
- Features nine different topics and essential vocabulary you can use
- The raven is known for its strength and wisdom—add these qualities to your everyday look
- 100% cotton, screen-printed, and always pre-shrunk, so you know this shirt won’t shrink in the wash
- Choose from sizes small to 3XL to find the perfect fit.
- Made in the USA and crafted with striking colors, making it a great gift
- Discontinued — On sale while supplies last!
- Our handmade, soft, 100% cotton Celtic Knot Book Bags are embellished with a Celtic knot design
- Choose from black, red, green, or purple according to your style
- They’re hand-dyed, so each bag is unique with a zip closure that keeps your books (or other belongings) secure
- The body of the bag measures 10 inches tall and 15 inches wide. Keep your bag close with an approximately 17 inch long strap