7 Things You Can Wear to Celebrate National Tartan Day
Break out your bagpipes, your best kilt, and all your best tartan accessories—it’s time to celebrate National Tartan Day! If your closet isn’t already bursting with these items, dinna fash: we have all you could need right here.
The Celtic Croft is the best resource for any Celtic celebration or event. Or, you can proudly display your Celtic heritage every day if you choose!
In recognition of Scottish heritage, North America has commemorated April 6th as National Tartan Day. Why April 6th? Back in 1320, the Declaration of Arbroath was signed on this day to denounce England’s rule over Scotland.
What’s all the hubbub about National Tartan Day?
All of these festivities are thanks to Canada. The idea of this holiday was first proposed on March 9th, 1986, at a gathering of the Federation of Scottish Clans in Nova Scotia. Following this proposal, many various Canadian provinces started recognizing the holiday. The United joined the party in 2005, and now we too celebrate National Tartan Day, acknowledging the contributions of Scottish people.
Celebrating tartan and all things Scottish isn’t good enough for one day, though. Over the years, it has transformed into Scotland Week throughout North America. New York City does National Tartan Day like it does everything else—BIG.
On 6th Avenue, you are welcome to attend the Tartan Day Parade, complete with bagpipe bands and a Grand Marshal. What to wear to such a braw celebration? Let us help you pick your tartan look for the bonnie day!
1. A Scarf
Since early April is still a bit oorlich, a good tartan scarf is an excellent accessory for both men and women to display your Scottish ancestry proudly. Your neck will stay warm while representing Scotland with the plaid of your family name.
The nifty thing about a scarf is that it can be fashioned several different ways about your neck—and can even be used to wave about as the Grand Marshal passes by!
There are several different types of scarves that your tartan can be applied to as well, so the possibilities are nearly endless.
Shop these tartan scarves available at the Celtic Croft!
- Scottish National Poly/Viscose Tartan Scarf
- Tartan Scarf – 8oz Spring Weight Premium Wool
- Hamilton Poly/Viscose Tartan Scarf
2. A Hat
The plethora of choices in headwear is huge—and the options in tartan are no less extensive. You may opt to match the pipe bands you see and hear going down 6th Avenue by wearing a traditional Glengarry.
3. A Purse or Bag
As you make your way out to all the festivities around National Tartan Day, you will likely need to carry a few things with you. Your tartan wallet, tartan glasses, or your tartan handkerchief.
Having a valuable accessory like a tartan purse or bag is useful in so many ways. You may not want to overwhelm your ensemble with tartan (although, is there such a thing?), so a simple purse of tartan may be just the touch you are looking for.
You’ll love these options from the Celtic Croft:
- Homespun Wool Blend Messenger-Style Tartan Tote Bag
- Homespun Wool Blend Tartan Tote Bag
- Medium Weight Premium Wool Messenger-Style Tartan Tote Bag
So maybe the April air was a little chillier than you first thought it might be. To keep you warm and keep you in all your tartan glory, a great pair of tartan trousers, pants, or trews may be just the answer you’re looking for.
With a nice, complimentary tartan gracing your legs, you will be in infinite comfort—the warm, soft, and lightweight fabric feels great, and the tartan pattern looks fantastic!
5. A Skirt
The Scottish ladies may be coming from the office to join in the festivities and are wanting a look that can traverse professional and Scottish party time. A great tartan skirt is a perfect piece to transcend multiple gathering types.
Representing your Scottish clan with a fine-fitting tartan skirt is a beautiful way to celebrate your heritage or the heritage of a people you fiercely admire. And comfort is a bonus—tartan skirts are popular for school uniforms for a reason.
6. A Blanket
We promise a blanket at the beginning of April isn’t overkill. Hopefully, you will bring little ones with you to enjoy in all the festivities, and while in their prams, they may get chilled.
7. A Kilt
Saving the very best for last, the natural choice for any Scottish heritage celebration is, of course, a kilt. When you think “tartan,” you are guaranteed to envision a superb kilt, sporran hanging off, kilt pin in place, and woolen hose—with the “appropriate” undergarments underneath (birthday suits are universal, after all).
The regal kilt is not something that you may see commonly over North America, except on 6th Avenue during the parade held every April 6th. Whether you’re marching in the parade, playing the sweet sounds of the bagpipes, or are attending one of the other week-long events for Scotland week, a kilt is a perfect thing to wear.
We know you’ll love these kilts:
Celebrate National Tartan Day With The Celtic Croft
While these seven items are natural choices to display your clan’s tartan, there are, of course, many other choices of clothes or accessories to show it. You’ll be crouss to find the perfect kilt, scarf, or other perfect tartan items at the Celtic Croft.
Fellow Scotsman? Check out some of our products!
- Woven by hand on old-world looms for an authentic look
- Made with a quality 55/45 blend of polyester and wool
- Matches our homespun kilts; perfect for Highland Games or Renaissance Fair
- Choose from 70+ ancient and modern tartan, both clan and non-clan
- Measures 11″ x 90″
- Made in the USA with attention to detail with quality fabric ensures a long life for this apron.
- Choose from 4 sizes, 3 pocket preference and 80+ different tartans for your unique look.
- A unisex tartan apron that is functional and fun, with and easy on and off cross back.
- Pair it with anything in your closet to add a tartan splash, wear it in the garden, your studio, kitchen and makes a great grilling apron.
- Machine washable for easy care.
- Add a splash of tartan for your everyday table decor and flip it over to complete your holiday look.
- Each placemat measures 14 inches x 20 inches.
- Made by us in the USA with authentic tartan and the finest attention to detail. A tartan piece you will be proud of as much as you are your family and home. Buy four or more and save 15%!
- Our Argyle Formal Kilt Shirt and Neck Tie Set are perfect for weddings, proms, or other formal events.
- The shirt is made with a65/35 poly-cotton blend. It has a laydown collar and french cuffs.
- Size availability is small to 5XL (14.5 inches to 20-inch neck) and sleeves 34/35 or 36/37.
- Neck toe and studs included, so you don’t need to worry about cufflinks.