Bagpipe Satire in History
Originally Published December 2011.
Bagpipe Satire in History
Bagpipes in humor is nothing new, so just for fun I thought I would take a quick look at satirical representations of bagpipes through the centuries.
A fool dancing to the devil’s bagpipe. Probably 16th century.
A caricature of the Pope as a donkey playing pipes by Lucas Cranach. The caption reads:
‘The pope alone can interpret Scripture and sweep
away misapprehension in the same way that a donkey alone can play the bagpipes and get the notes right’. Dated 1545.
An 18th century caricature ‘The Scotch Wedding’ artist unknown.
And finally an interesting general collection of bagpipes in art.
Fellow Scotsman? Check out some of our products!
A Scottish teatime with a pick me up of Bailey’s Salted fudge caramels, tea, and blossom honey. Great for any time of the day with a variety of flavored teas.
- Delicious fudge with the smooth taste of BAILEYS®. Edinburg’s Scottish Collection Of Tea and Scottish Blossom honey will make any breakfast or tea time great.
- With a rich history, each is made in Scotland from pure ingredients.
- Makes a great gift for yourself, a friend or a loved one
- luxurious Fudge, bright and brisk tea, finished with distinctively flavored honey. Meltingly delicious is the only way to describe this bundle
- Measurement: 3-7/8” by 1-5/16” (99mm x 33mm)
- Crest: 11/16″ (19.5mm) in diameter
- Each kilt pin is individually cast with a sturdy sword handle and topped with a decorative thistle.
- Available in 300+ Scottish Clans
Discontinued – Available while supplies last.
- Rustic Highland lace-up kilt shirt; the perfect complement to a Renaissance, Highland, or Outlander themed-outfit
- Not your standard Jacobite shirt; collarless with a split front with laces and button closures at the wrist
- Cool and comfortable; made with 100% sturdy cotton
- Comes in sizes M – XXL, Black or Cream
What our customers say about this shirt
Excellent, high-quality, rough fabric, and the garment’s construction is solid… the pleating on the sleeves is really something. Some customers have said that the sleeves were a bit short and the shoulders were a little bit tight, so they ordered up in size. If you are worried about this issue, we recommend ordering 1 size larger than your standard t-shirt size.
- Perfect for throwing on a couch, bed, or chair or to wrap up in on a chilly day. Two matching tartan pillows to complete your tartan home decor
- Lightweight and affordable and made from a poly/viscose, hypoallergenic, wool-free blend
- Choose between one of our official licensed Outlander tartans (Outlander, Outlander Fraser) with three sizes available (2, 2.5, or 3 yards)
- Tartan is woven in Scotland, and the blanket is made in the USA