Our Formal Kilts are made to order in Scotland (KF13W made in Wales) with a minimum of 8 yards of Premium wool or Poly/Viscose Tartan. Hand–stitched pleats and lots of attention to detail make these some of the finest kilts in the world!
We generally recommend a medium or heavy weight kilt. While there are more than 1,000 tartans to choose from, not all tartans are available in all weights. Because we work with 8 different woolen mills to bring you the largest possible selection, the kilts below are divided based on each supplier’s price and availability. Please allow 6 – 12 weeks for delivery.
Poly/Viscose Formal Kilts
Whether you are allergic to wool or, or just want a great looking kilt for a little bit less, our 100% synthetic poly/viscose kilts are a great way to go! Nearly indistinguishable to the untrained eye from 100% wool tartan, these kilts are constructed just like their premium wool counterparts. (They aren’t woven with a kilting selvedge so the kilts will be hemmed.) Our poly/viscose kilts are available in about 60 tartans.
Recommended Formal Kilt Measuring instructions
(These instructions should also be listed on each individual formal kilt page)
(1) Measure comfortably around your middle, at your navel (belly button). This is your kilt waist. If you have a bit more around the middle than you might like to have (like I do), you may want to measure a little higher than the navel to get over the crest of the "beer gut". The higher waist will help your kilt stay up where it belongs.
(2) Measure around your hips at the fullest point (usually 6-8 inches below the kilt waist).
(3) Measure from your kilt waist to about the middle of the knee. Have someone help you. If you bend even a little while trying to do it yourself, the measurement will change.
(4) Your height.
Our goal is to make the ordering of your kilt as stress free and enjoyable as possible and we look forward to handling your order. Please enjoy our extensive online catalog of Tartan Fabrics, Highland Accessories, Kilt Accessories, Kilt Jackets, Kilt Clothing, and other quality Celtic products.
- Win $1000!
- Email Newsletter
- Request a Catalog
- Kilt Rental
- Celtic History Newsletter
- The Celtic Croft Blog
- Clan, Band & Affiliates
- Highland Wear Info
- Measurement Info
- Tartan List
- Special Order Terms and Conditions
- Terms and Conditions
- Ordering Info
- Document Downloads
- Tartan Finder
- About Our Company
- Event Schedule
- Customer's Pics
- Contact Info